[R] Block comments in R?

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 11:07:07 CEST 2006

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Commenting code out and providing documentation comments are easily
> done with a good editor, although R documentation comments really belong
> in files where help() can find them.

  R documentation comments belong in .Rd files at the moment, but how
joyous would it be if they could be included in the .R files?

  Okay, this is all part of my incessant whining to make R more like
Python, but I've found managing separate .Rd and .R files a pain. If .R
files could have embedded documentation you'd have one source for code,
documentation, tests etc. I did play about with this in the Splus days,
attaching documentation strings to functions with attributes, but it was
just kludgy without a proper mechanism.

  Is there an R 3.0 roadmap?

Barry