[R] help: Error: cannot allocate vector of size 12079 Kb

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Oct 3 18:41:03 CEST 2006

Baoqiang Cao wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm running the latest R on WinXP by using Rgui.exe
> --max-mem-size=30000Mb . After read in a huge data file to a data
                  ^^^^^
This does not make sense. You cannot allocate 30Gb on a Windows 32 bit
system, or perhaps you managed to get R compiled with an unknown
compiler on a 64bit version of Windows?

> matrix, I tried to get a subset of the data matrix but failed with:
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 12079 Kb

> Any tips to get out of it?
>
> If helps,
>  > memory.limit()
> [1] 3145728000
>  > memory.size()
> [1] 842735624

How much RAM and what size of the pagefile does your system have?
Have you tweaked your system to really use 3Gb per process (if you have
got that much)? See the R for Windows FAQ "There seems to be a limit on
the memory it uses!" how to tweak Windows.

Uwe Ligges