[R] Marginal and Discrete Effects of a Logit

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 3 15:58:43 CEST 2006

Robi Ragan wrote:
> I am trying to compute the marginal effects from a logit.
>
> dPr(y=1)/dx_k
>
> and
>
> delta Pr(y=1|xbar)/ delta x_k
>
> I have searched the archives and seen the question asked, but never an
> answer given. Is this possible in either lrm or glm?
>
> Thanks,

Taking the derivative does yield a kind of marginal effect but not one
that most people use.  Marginal effects on a relative basis are
traditionally computed via odds ratios (do ?summary.Design).  You could
also compute effects as probability differences but confidence intervals
would not be automatic.  I prefer to give confidence intervals for odds
ratios and a graph translating odds ratios to risk differences as a
(strong) function of baseline risk (such a graph is in my book
Regression Modeling Strategies). -Frank