[R] writing lists fastly on file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 30 13:24:23 CET 2006

On 11/30/2006 6:55 AM, Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I have a big amount of "lists" of data, each one with dimension 1024x1024. When I save it in an ASCII file (using "write" function) it take about 15 minutes. As I need run about 500,000 times this same routine, and I would like to do this save task in a fast way.

>   In fact I will use these output files in another program that read ASCII or RAW/Generic Binary (8bits) formats. Each value from my lists ranges from 1 to 200 (integer values).

I think this depends on the details.  Can you show us what str() gives
for one of these lists?  Can you tell us how flexible the other program
is about the format of what it needs to see?  "RAW/Generic Binary"
sounds like a format for an image from a digital camera; there might be
packages available in R that are specifically designed to write that
format but I don't know them.

Duncan Murdoch