[R] Removing terms from formula

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 08:37:13 CET 2006

Do you really want the 1?  Normally the intercept is not explicitly
given unless there are no other terms in the formula so assuming you
only want it if you have otherwise removed all the variables then:

zap1 <- function(fo) {
   L <- sapply(all.vars(fo[[length(fo)]]), function(x)
      nlevels(get(x)), simplify = FALSE)
   fo <- eval.parent(do.call(substitute, list(fo, L[c(L) == 1])))
   update(fo, . ~ .)
}

# test data
x <- y <- 1:3