[R] tests for NULL objects

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Nov 30 00:35:42 CET 2006

Merely convention.

NULL == 2  <==> logical(0), that is, a logical vector of length 0. It makes
sense (at least to me) that any(logical(0)) is FALSE, since no elements of
the vector are TRUE. all(logical(0)) is TRUE since no elements of the vector
are FALSE.

I think these are reasonable and fairly standard conventions, but even if
you disagree, they are certainly not worth making a fuss over and certainly
cannot be changed without breaking a lot of code, I'm sure.

Bert Gunter
Nonclinical Statistics
7-7374