[R] Nonlinear statistical modeling -- a comparison of R and AD Model Builder

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Fri Nov 24 23:19:20 CET 2006

Did you try supplying gradient information to nlminb?  (I note that
nlminb is used for the optimization, but I don't see any gradient
information supplied to it.) I would suspect that supplying gradient
information would greatly speed up the computation (as you note in
comments at http://otter-rsch.ca/tresults.htm.)

I'm curious -- when you say "R may not be a suitable platform for
development for such models", what aspect of R do you feel is lacking?
Is it the specific optimization routines available, or is it some other
more general aspect?

Also, another optimization algorithm available in R is the "L-BFGS-B"
method for optim() in the MASS package.  I've had extremely good
experiences with using this code in S-PLUS.  It can take box
constraints, and can use gradient information.  It is my first choice
for most optimization problems, and I believe it is very widely used.
Did you try using that optimization routine with this problem?

-- Tony Plate