[R] writing character to a file in UTF-8

Wee-Jin Goh wjgoh at brookes.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 13:21:59 CET 2006

Hello,

Have a look at the function iconv, which converts a character vector
from one encoding to another.

If you're not interested in converting from one encoding to another,
and just want any character vector to be encoded as UTF-8, open the
file in the following way, passing encoding="UTF-8".

fd <- file("My File", "w", encoding="UTF-8")

I know this works under Mac OS X and on Linux. I don't see why it
shouldn't work on Windows too.

Wee-Jin