[R] Creating a new vector

Leeds, Mark (IED) Mark.Leeds at morganstanley.com
Mon Nov 20 15:32:37 CET 2006

x<-y
x[y < 0]<-y
X[y >= 0]<-NA

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Amir Safari
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 9:25 AM
To: R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Creating a new vector

     Dear R Users,

  Suppose we want to creat a new vector ( x ) from a current vector (y)
of length 1000. The current vector y includes negative, zero and
positive values. We want our new vector x includes the negative values
in y, otherwise NA with the same length as y.

  For this, we have  x=y[y<0]  . Now x includes a subset of  y with
shorter length than y. With x=match(y,x) we would have  a  vector of
indices equal to the length of y. x=y[x] gives us a vector of  values
with the same length as y. But when I implement such a  procedure, x
dose not merely include negative values. It includes  negative, NA and
also positive values.
  What could be the reason for appearing pasitive values? And how to
correct this? And more generally how can this purpose be coded more
convenient?

  Thank you so much for any reply.

  Amir Safari