[R] Problems with principal components analysis PCA with prcomp

Carlos Guerra carlosguerra.amb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 12:08:29 CET 2006

Dear friends,

I am beginning to use R software in my academic research and I'm having some
problems regarding the use of PCA.
I have a table with 24445 rows and 9 columns, and I used the function
prcomp() to do the analysis.
Working with an example…:

x<-read.table("test.txt", header=T)
row.names(x)<-x[,1]
x<-x[,-1]
require(stats)
pca<-prcomp(x, scale=T)
names(pca)

## here begin my problems… know what…??##

My questions are:
1. How can I group my samples (rows) in a graphical way?
2. How can I extract the samples related to each group? …or… How can I
create a new column with "n" values corresponding to each group created?
3. Is it possible to extract/export the information in an object into a file
with a dbf extension (e.g. test.dbf)?

Best regards,
Carlos

Carlos GUERRA

Instituto Politécnico de Viana do Castelo
Escola Superior Agrária de Ponte de Lima

Mosteiro de Refóios do Lima
4990-706 Ponte de Lima
PORTUGAL

MAIL: carlosguerra at esa.ipvc.pt