[R] segfault 'memory not mapped', dual core problem?

Barnet Wagman bw at northbranchlogic.com
Sun Nov 12 21:05:33 CET 2006

I encountered a segfault running glm() and wonder if it could have
something to do with the way memory is handled in a dual core system
(which I just set up).  I'm running R-base-2.4.0-1, installed from the
SuSE 10.1 x86_64 rpm (obtained from CRAN).   (My processor is an AMD
Athlon 64 x2 4800+).

The error and traceback are

*** caught segfault ***
address 0x8001326f2b, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: any(is.na(varmu))
 2: glm.fit(x = X, y = Y, weights = weights, start = start, etastart =
etastart,     mustart = mustart, offset = offset, family = family,
control = control,     intercept = attr(mt, "intercept") > 0)
 3: glm(y ~ x, family = binomial("logit"), data = da)
 4:  ...

Note that this does NOT happen every time I make this call to glm().
I'm calling glm() in a loop and it executed correctly many times.

The seqfault occurred while I was running two instances of R (in
separate Linux processes), so both cores were being utilized.  Free
memory exceeded the swap memory in use, so I don't think that there was
a lot of swapping going on.

Any thoughts on what might have caused this to happen - and  how to
avoid it - would be appreciated.

thanks,

bw