[R] Plotting symbols with two positions?

CG Pettersson cg.pettersson at evp.slu.se
Thu Nov 9 11:37:06 CET 2006

Dear Dimitris,

Thanks a lot, but I didn't really manage to apply it in my context, I
first got an error message and then an ugly plot.

I have also got the advice from Gabor Grothendieck to use letters instead
of numbers, but I do prefer numbers as this is the normal way of referring
to the individual trials.

This is what I did, (and failed with):

> attach(DAT.nr)
> plot(jd.s,jd.h, type = "no")
Warning message:
plot type 'no' will be truncated to first character in: plot.xy(xy, type,
pch, lty, col, bg, cex, lwd, ...)

This was not very hopeful, but as an empty frame was produced in the same
time, I took a risk with this:

> text(jd.s, jd.h, pch=as.character(DAT.nr$t_no))

Which, to my surprise, produced a plot. The problem with it was _not_ that
the numbers were truncated into the first (as could be expected) but that
it seems like the line number, and not the trial number, were used. Not
very nice as they number up to 576 and have 36 levels for each trial......

If I instead use the last expression, but as a "plot":

> plot(jd.s, jd.h, pch=as.character(DAT.nr$t_no))

I am back where I begun with the correct numbers, but only the first
position of it.

What is happening?

All the best
/CG

On Thu, November 9, 2006 10:19 am, Dimitris Rizopoulos said:
> try this:
>
> y <- rnorm(16)
>
> plot(y, type = "n")
> text(1:16, y, 1:16)
>

> Best,
> Dimitris

>>> abline(fit)
>>> legend("topleft", expression(paste(R[adj]^2, " = 0.66")))
>>>
>>> ## or
>>>
>>> plot(x, y)
>>> abline(fit)

cg.pettersson at vpe.slu.se