[R] Making a case for using R in Academia

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Nov 9 03:24:38 CET 2006

Thank you all for your responses both on and off the list, and
especially to Marc for the following link, it's exactly the sort of
thing I was looking for. I tried searching the archives myself, but
the right search words were escaping me as well. This also led me to
the tutorials on the "Burns Statistics" website, which had a lot of
useful information as well

I suppose one of the concerns in our case is whether people might be
"locked out" so to speak in terms of being able to submit to certain
journals or work with people who use one of these packages instead.
Have any of you had any problems in that direction?

I would particularly like to hear from people who were not "hard-core
programmers" before taking up R, so perhaps had originally some
difficulties with it. How hard was it, and how quickly did it start
paying off? Our main stumbling block I feel would be to get our
colleagues to switch to using R, at least for their teaching, and
most of them would probably have never really seen a programming
language before.

Thanks again for all your feedback, and looking forward to any other
comments you have.

Charilaos Skiadas
Department of Mathematics
Hanover College