[R] Making a case for using R in Academia

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Wed Nov 8 21:55:44 CET 2006

Hello, new to the list, first message.

This question perhaps might be more appropriate to R-sig-teaching,
and I'd be happy to take it there if this is not the right place for it.

I am teaching applied statistics at a small liberal arts college with
limited resources, and we are currently using SPSS for our courses.
Mainly the reason for this, as I understand it, is that this is what
is used "out in the real world", or at least this is our perception
of it. I have only used R for my own stuff for about six months, and
my training is not in statistics, so I am not very aware of what it
can do in other disciplines, especially Sociology and Psychology. I
would like to make a case to the other departments here for using R
instead, so I was hoping that there might be some resources out there
that talk about the extend in which R is being used outside of
academia, or in general any other resources that talk about R as a
practical alternative to the other non-free statistical packages.
Perhaps some statistics, or particular examples of use? Any links
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts/input into this.

Charilaos Skiadas
Department of Mathematics
Hanover College
P.O.Box 108