[R] CPU or memory

Christos Hatzis christos at nuverabio.com
Wed Nov 8 19:40:22 CET 2006

Great.  I will try it.
Thank you.

-Christos

-----Original Message-----
From: Prof Brian Ripley [mailto:ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:21 PM
To: Christos Hatzis
Cc: 'Stefan Grosse'; r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; 'Taka Matzmoto'
Subject: RE: [R] CPU or memory

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Christos Hatzis wrote:

> Prof. Ripley,
>
> Do you mind providing some pointers on how "coarse-grained parallelism"
> could be implemented on a Windows environment?  Would it be as simple
> as running two R-console sessions and then (manually) combining the
> results of these simulations.  Or it would be better to run them as batch
processes.

That is what I would do in any environment (I don't do such things under
Windows since all my fast machines run Linux/Unix).

Suppose you want to do 10000 simulations.  Set up two batch scripts that
each run 5000, and save() the results as a list or matrix under different
names, and set a different seed at the top.  Then run each via R CMD BATCH
simultaneously.  When both have finished, use an interactive session to
load() both sets of results and merge them.