[R] CPU or memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 11:29:19 CET 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> 64bit does not make anything faster. It is only of use if you want to
> use more then 4 GB of RAM of if you need a higher precision of your
> variables
>
> The dual core question: dual core is faster if programs are able to use
> that. What is sure that R cannot make (until now) use of the two cores
> if you are stuck on Windows. It works excellent if you use Linux. So if
> you want dual core you should work with linux (and then its faster of
> course).

Not necessarily.  We have seen several examples in which using a
multithreaded BLAS (the only easy way to make use of multiple CPUs under
Linux for a single R process) makes things many times slower.  For tasks
that are do not make heavy use of linear algebra, the advantage of a
multithreaded BLAS is small, and even from those which do the speed-up is
rarely close to double for a dual-CPU system.

John mentioned simulations.  Often by far the most effective way to use a
multi-CPU platform (and I have had one as my desktop for over a decade) is
to use coarse-grained parallelism: run two or more processes each doing
some of the simulation runs.