[R] can update.packages Debian package files?

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Sat Nov 4 17:55:05 CET 2006

Hi,

I have searched the archive for the solution of this question, but
couldn't find anything, so I thought I would ask here.

I am using R on a Debian (testing) system.  Many of the R packages I
use are installed as .deb packages, those which are not available in
this format I install using install.packages.

When calling update.packages, sometimes the R repository version is
more recent than the Debian package, and update.packages offers to
update it which I don't want because the new debianized version will
be out soon.  Is it possible to have update.packages recognize that
these are "systemwide" packages and ignore them when updating?  Or is
manual selection of what to update the only option?

Thanks,

Tamas