[R] help went away from top emacs window :-(

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 2 18:59:35 CET 2006

On 11/2/2006 11:59 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Duncan> On 11/1/2006 11:59 PM, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>     >> This is a change in the default in the Windows version of
>     >> R in 2.4.0.  It is not an ESS issue.  To change it back,
>     >> type
>     >>
>     >> options(chmhelp=FALSE)
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Duncan, I think this change in Help default should be
>     >> added to the Windows FAQ.
>
>     Duncan> It's an install option.  The fact that it is now
>     Duncan> user-settable is mentioned in the CHANGES file.  I
>     Duncan> guess the change to the default should also have
>     Duncan> been mentioned there (I'll add it), but I wouldn't
>     Duncan> call this question "frequent".
>
> maybe not yet, but accumlated over (future) time ?

It's only a change for a relatively short time.  Soon it will be the
status quo.  So I don't expect it to be a FAQ, but it belongs in the
CHANGES file.

> I presume it does not only affect ESS users but also
> those of other (non-standard) [G]UIs.

It affects all users who use the installer and don't change the default.

> OTOH, maybe, it *is* something the GUI authors should take care,
> i.e., we should consider for the next version of ESS,
> to issue
> 	    options(chmhelp=FALSE)
> automatically by default when we see to be on Windows.

Or do what the installer does, and when you install ESS set it in the
R_HOME/etc/Rprofile.site file.

Duncan Murdoch