[R] X11 device

Marius Hofert marius.hofert at uni-ulm.de
Wed May 31 20:55:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am working with R on a Mac Powerbook G4. As described a couple of
days ago, I would like to create an animation consisting of - say -
1000 plots (lattice: xyplot, wireframe etc.). Everything works
perfectly fine (thanks to all of you for the suggestions and ideas),
but before I am able to plot (.png's in a for-loop), I have to start
a X11 device. I was wondering if it is possible to start the X11
device from the R console (as it is tedious to click the X11-button
in the GUI). Searching through the web, I found the command "X11()",
but that _only_ works, if the X11-button in the GUI was pressed
before... otherwise, I get an error message that it wasn't possible
to start the X11 device and I get an additional warning saying that
the connection to the X11 display couldn't be opened.

Does it work to start such an device from the console? If so, what's
the command to use?

Thanks very much in advance.

marius