[R] I cannot load the package "Rcmdr"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 26 19:41:56 CEST 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Zhang Jian,
>
> Is it possible that you're using a version of the Rcmdr package that's
> incompatible with your version of R?

That ought to have generated an error much earlier, but of course the
dependencies in an old version of Rcmdr might not have been prescient.
I would suggest running update.packages() to be sure.

> (I won't have access to email this weekend, so will be unable to reply
> until Monday to your response.)
>
> I hope this helps,
> John
>
> On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:52:31 -0400
> "zhang jian" <jzhang1982 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can load the package in other R file, but I can not do it in the
>> file.
>> How to solve the question?
>>
>>> local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)))
>> + if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
>> Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error in "*"
>> Error: .onAttach failed in 'attachNamespace'
>> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rcmdr'

Please look at the section on debugging in the `Writing R Extensions'
manual.  (If you do not see it, you need to update your R to >= 2.3.0.) At
a minimum, running traceback() at that point would have helped both you
and us.  (I am guessing this occurs in the call to Commander(), but would
like not to be guessing.)

Also, please check out the posting guide and tell us the information
requested, e.g. sessionInfo(), and Sys.getlocale() in case it is a charset
issue.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk