[R] lme, best model without convergence

Thomas Wutzler thomas.wutzler at web.de
Fri May 26 14:26:49 CEST 2006

Dear R-help list readers,

I am fitting mixed models with the lme function of the nlme package.
If I get convergence depends on how the method (ML/REM) and which (and
how much) parameters will depend randomly on the cluster-variable.

How get the bist fit without convergence?

I set the parameters msVerbose and returnObject to TRUE:

lmeControl(maxIter=50000, msMaxIter=200, tolerance=1e-4, niter=50,
msTol=1e-5, nlmStepMax=500,
	,msVerbose=TRUE
	,returnObject=TRUE
)

However, the lme-functions does not produce verbose output, nor does it
return the best fit if lme is not converging.
It returns only an error:
Error in lme.formula(y ~ lndbh + I(lndbh^2) + lnh + I(lnh^2), random =
~lndbh +  :
         iteration limit reached without convergence (9)

Best regards
Thomas