[R] factors and ops

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri May 26 08:54:39 CEST 2006

Hi

Date sent:      	Fri, 26 May 2006 01:33:34 -0500
From:           	Erin Hodgess <hodgess at gator.dt.uh.edu>
To:             	r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject:        	[R]  factors and ops

> Dear R People
>
> I have a variable which is an ID number that is a factor.
>
> I would like to look for ID numberbs that are greeater than
> a particular value.
>
> However, factors are a big ugly for these operations.
>
> I was messing with the HR data set from the SASmixed package.
>
> HR$Patient is a factor like that.
>
> Now if I used:
> subset(HR,as.integer(as.character(Patient)) > 214)
>
> that will work.

AFAIK no other way. If you know you do not want HR$Patient as factor
you can use
HR$Patient <- as.integer(as.character(HR$Patient))
or
 HR$Patient <- as.numeric(as.character(HR$Patient))
and then
subset(HR,Patient > 214)

but beware of attaching data.frame as if it is attached you need to
detach it first and than to change factor to numeric and only then to
attach it again.

HTH
Petr