[R] parallel computing

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu May 25 19:17:29 CEST 2006

Hi Moreno --

snow provides an easy interface to simple parallel types of
calculations (e.g., lapply in parallel). I quickly wanted to have more
direct control over how parallel computations were calculated, and
have been using Rmpi. Though in principle snow and Rmpi are 'easy' to
use, I found that they actually require a certain amount of
understanding about R objects and evaluation, and the underlying
communication library (MPI, or PVM).

Hope that helps,

Martin