[R] glmmADMB and the GPL -- formerly-- How to buy R.

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Wed May 24 16:02:37 CEST 2006

On Tue May 23 18:01:03 CEST 2006 Dave Fourier wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Some of you have been following the discussion of the GPL and its inclusion
> in the glmmADMB package we created for R users. I would like to provide
> a bit of background and include an email we received from
> Prof. Ripley so that everyone can be aware of how some might use the
> GPL to try to force access to proprietary software. I think this is
> interesting because many have voiced the opinion about the benign nature
> of the GPL and that commercial enterprises who avoid it do so mainly out
> of ignorance.
>
> I have noticed two things:
> Users of the R-help list appear to rely largely on the advice of a
> rather small number of statistical experts. Second, the R users regard R
> as being more cutting edge and up to date than lists devoted to
> commercial statistical packages like SAS.
>
> For these reasons  I was surprised to see the following post on the web
>
>      https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-February/066146.html
>
> I thought that this was bad advice as certainly our ADMB-RE software
> could handle this problem easily.  However one never knows exactly what
> sort of data people might use in a particular example that could lead to
> difficulties so I decided to code up a program that R users could test
> for this problem.  However R users are used to a different approach for
> model formulation so that it was difficult for the average R user to
> access the program. I approached Anders Nielsen who is both an
> experienced ADMB user and R user and asked him to write an interface in
> R which would make the program more accessible to R users. He created a
> package and the whole thing seems to have had some success with at least
> one PhD thesis based on calculations using it. The R code that Anders
> wrote is simply an interface which takes the R specification for the
> model and outputs a data file in the format the an ADMB program expects.
> The ADMB program is a stand alone exe. The R script then reads the ADMB
> output files and presents the results to the user in a more familiar R
> format. Now it appears at some revision someone put a GPL notice on this
> package although Anders states that he did not do so, and and he is
> certain that it was not originally included by him. In any event the R
> script is easily extracted from the package by those who know how to do
> so and we have no problem with making the ADMB-RE source to the  exe
> (TPL file) available. In fact the original was on our web site but was
> modified as we made to program more robust to deal with difficult data
> sets.  The compiled TPL file links with our proprietary libraries and we
> have no intention of providing the source for these, but that is exactly
> what Prof. Ripley seems to be demanding since he claims that he wants
> the program to run on his computer which it apparently does not do at
> present. Prof. Ripley seems to feel that he is a qualified spokesman for
> [...]

Dave,

I thought long and hard about whether to respond to your post. However,
the more I thought about it, the more that I realized that the entire
premise of your post is incorrect.

For the record, I speak for myself and no one else here.

This is a customer service and now, a PR issue, for you and your
company.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It is not about Prof. Ripley's posts, e-mails, representations or
expectations.

BTW, did you request and secure his permission to post what appears to
be part of a private communication between he and Hans Skaug? I did not
see his comments that you have quoted in a public post to r-help.

There is no need for any consensus from the R community here. It is up
to you and your company as to how you wish to reconcile a lapse in
judgement and/or error in task on the part of one or more individuals at
your company for posting your product under the GPL in the first place.

If you want to be angry at somebody, keep it inside your company. Not
here. Nobody in the R Community has erred here.

By allowing your product to be posted under the GPL, besides pointing
out an internal QA issue, you set in motion certain expectations
regarding how your software can be copied and distributed, including
access to source code. The expectation is in place, whether you intended
it or not.

Within that context, Prof. Ripley's request and expectations are
entirely reasonable.

It is up to you to make a business decision, as to how you elect to
respond to the pre-existing situation and how you to elect to deal with
the availability of your products (free or otherwise) moving forward.

Consider your options, make a decision and live with it, whatever the
consequences. The users of your products will ultimately let you know
how successful or not your response is.

Having been one, that's the responsibility and the accountability of a
business owner. It's an easy job when things are going well. RHIP when
things are not.

Marc Schwartz