[R] problem with ad.test

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed May 24 09:06:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Bhismadev Chakrabarti wrote:
> i am a novice and  have been trying to use the anderson-darling test
> on a simple text file with one column of data.
> EQ is the name ( in the top row of the column, imported with
> read.table( file, header=TRUE) of the column of the data.

 	Well, unfortunately, this is going to be a case of a novice giving
advice to a novice as I'm just learning this too and was recently having
problem with the normality tests.

 	The source of your problem is the read.table command and the data
structure it creates.  I have never used it and am too lazy now to read
about it for you.  :)  I've used the scan method instead, as follows:

> library("nortest")
> A <- scan("tmp")
Read 9 items
> summary(A)
    Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
       1       3       5       5       7       9
[1] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> ad.test(A)

         Anderson-Darling normality test

data:  A