[R] How can you buy R?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon May 22 14:04:12 CEST 2006

On 5/22/2006 3:55 AM, Berwin A Turlach wrote:
> G'day Deepayan,

>     DS> let me first summarize this sub-discussion so far: [...]
> Sound like a perfect summary. :)
>
>     DS> As far as I can tell (and please correct me if I'm wrong),
>     DS> your contention is that by linking a GPL component P with a
>     DS> non-GPL component Q, a user may lose the rights granted to him
>     DS> by the GPL to the GPL-d part P.
> I don't think that I said this explicitly, but I can see how what I
> said can be interpreted in such a way.  The point is rather that at
> the moment component P and Q are linked (and I perhaps carelessly
> assumed that the user was doing this) a product is produced that
> should be completely under the GPL.  Obviously it is not.  Hence, the
> status of this linked product, and whether it can be used by anybody,
> is an open question.  And the answer is probably given by the
> copyright laws (and others?) of the country in the linking happens.
>

>     DS> Let's assume this is true. All that means is that the user has
>     DS> lost his rights to "copy, modify and redistribute" P. He does
>     DS> NOT lose the rights to use P.
> I agree with you on this.  Probably I was to terse in my writing and
> produced misunderstandings.  I never intended to say something about
> the rights that the user has with regards to P alone.  My comments
> were directed towards the linked product P+Q.  In particular, it is
> not clear to me whether one can execute such a product without
> violating copyright laws.

The GPL is quite explicit on this:  as Deepayan said, it confers rights
to copy, modify and redistribute P.  "Activities other than copying,
distribution and modification are not covered by this License; they are
outside its scope."

This probably varies from country to country, but I think the assumption
is that if you have a legally acquired copy of a program, you have a
right to execute it as you like.  (The American DMCA and laws in other
countries that implement the WIPO anti-circumvention rules limit you in
specific ways, but they probably don't apply to the situation we're
talking about.)

Now, I suppose you might argue that executing P+Q makes a copy of it in
memory, but I think countries that have modernized their copyright laws
recognize that this is something you have a right to do with a legally
acquired copy.  You don't need the GPL to give you permission to do
this.  That's certainly true in the US and Canada.  Your country may vary.

Duncan Murdoch