[R] normality testing with nortest

Raymond Wan rwan at kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun May 21 21:11:15 CEST 2006

Hi all,

 	I have a question regarding normality testing with the nortest
package.  I have to admit, my question is so general that it might more be
suited a newsgroup such as sci.math.  However, just in case it is
implemented differently, I was hoping someone who has used it can help me
out.

 	I just want to double check that for all of the tests, the null
hypothesis is whether or not the input distribution *differs* with the
normal distribution.  So, if you get a p-value less than (say) 0.05, you
can reject the null hypothesis at a 95% confidence level and say that the
input distribution is *not* normal.

 	So these tests check/confirm whether a distribution is not
normal...as opposed to confirming that it is normal.  Does this sound
about right?

Ray