[R] How can you buy R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 20 18:54:41 CEST 2006

The issue in the glmmADMB example is not if they were required to release
it under GPL (my reading from the GPL FAQ is that they probably were not,
given that communication is between processes and the R code is
interpreted).

Rather, it is stated to be under GPL _but_ there is no source code offer
for the executables (and the GPL FAQ says that for anonymous FTP it should
be downloadable via the same site, and the principles apply equally to
HTTP sites).  As the executables are not for my normal OS and I would like
to exercise my freedom to try the GPLed code, I have requested the sources
from the package maintainer.

Once again, the GPL FAQ and its references,
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html, are a more informed source than
mailing lists.  If you think you understand it, try the exam at

http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi

(cheaper than testing in court).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk