[R] Non-GPLed packages (was How can you buy R?)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 20 15:31:01 CEST 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Patrick Burns wrote:

> It is my understanding that interpreted code is
> considered to be data and hence not able to be
> legally restricted in the same way that compiled
> code can be.

Yes: see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL
for a clearcut opinion from FSF.

However, most R packages contain compiled code that is linked against R's
headers and is dynamically linked into R, and that is a more contentious
issue. See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html and especially

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

See also Q2.11 in the R FAQ, which says

`The R Core Team does not provide legal advice under any circumstances'

(including here).  The onus is on those distributing packages to ensure
that they meet the requirements of R's GPL.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk