[R] R-OT list needed?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat May 20 14:09:56 CEST 2006

    >> From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
    >>
    >> On 19 May 2006 at 14:20, (Ted Harding) wrote: | than you,
    >> what that seems to spell out -- maybe "R-Social" | might
    >> be better).

    AndyL> A ROT-SIG list?

:-)

Instead of 'R-Social',
'R-community' might be slightly more self explaining
(People using R in sociology might think 'R-Social' to be for them).

Another "vessel" I sometimes would have had liked, was a "meta
list", discussing about R-help "policy"  {as the S-news-advisory
list for those (oldtimers like me) who remember}.

If we think about yet another list, I'd like to use that
list also for such "advisory" topics.

The problem with such extra lists is that many of them never
gain enough momentum to become relevant - even for their target
audience.
We could make it an experiment:
Create and announce the list to R-help;
only keep the list if it has more than 200 (say) subscribers
within a month.

BTW: R-help now has

  regular 2006-05-20.13: 2069
  digest  2006-05-20.13: 2386
  -------                ----
  total   2006-05-20.13: 4455  subscribers

(as registered by mailman, i.e., "in theory"; some invalid e-mail addresses
 are not automatically unsubscribed by the software,
 unfortunately; OTOH, there are probably are "Gmane-only" or
 "Archives-only" occasional readers, and some subscribed
 addresses probably are aliases that which distribute to more
 than one person)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich (maintainer of most(?) R mailing lists)

    >> Perfect!  Those with bruises from asking silly or
    >> uninformed questions on r-help can refer to that list as
    >> ... R-AntiSocial.
    >>
    >> Just kidding. I'd be up for an off-topic list with a more
    >> discerning look at publically fudged and quoted numbers.
    >> Carl Bialik does something related in his "Numbers Guy"
    >> column at the on-line Wall Street Journal, but that
    >> requires a subscription.

    AndyL> For more such statistics (and if you've got 24
    AndyL> minutes to spare), see
    AndyL> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879.

    AndyL> Andy