[R] lmer, p-values and all that

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sat May 20 01:54:18 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 17:44 -0500, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> Douglas Bates wrote:
> > Users are often surprised and alarmed that the summary of a linear
> . . . .
> Doug,
>
> I have been needing this kind of explanation.  That is very helpful.
> Thank you.  I do a lot with penalized MLEs for ordinary regression and
> logistic models and know that getting sensible P-values is not
> straightforward even in that far simpler situation.
>
> Frank

I would like to echo Frank's comments and say "Thanks" to Doug for
taking the time to provide this post.

I would also like to suggest that this issue has indeed become a FAQ and
would like to recommend that an addition to the main R FAQ be made
(wording TBD) but along the lines of:

  Why are p values not displayed when using lmer()?

The response could be:

  Doug Bates has kindly provided an extensive response in a post to the
  r-help list, which can be reviewed at:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-May/094765.html

This might save Doug, Harold and Spencer (I am probably missing some
others here) keystrokes in the future...  :-)

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz