[R] trouble with plotrix package

Randy Zelick zelickr at pdx.edu
Fri May 19 17:19:12 CEST 2006

Hello list,

I wrote a simple program to plot data on polar axes, taking advantage of
the plotrix package and its function radial.plot. The basic plot works
fine, but I am having difficulties with the formatting. There are three
problems, but I thought I would attack them one at a time. Here is the
first:

If my data set contains values with all vector lengths between 0 and 100
(and various angles), and I set rp.type="s", I get a nice "bullseye" type
plot with the data shown on a background of concentric circles labeled
appropriately. On the other hand, if my data only contain vector length
values from, say, 80 to 90 then the first concentric ring is at 80, and
five more rings are scrunched between 80 and 100.

It looks like there is an autoscaling feature turned on that says make a
fixed number of rings starting at a nice value below the user's lowest
data value and extending to a nice value above.

There is a switch to set the upper bound on rings (radial.lim) but I don't
see a way to specify the lower bound. What I want is a "bullseye" plot
that goes from my start value (first ring at 10) to my end value (last
ring at 100) independent of the data range.

Thanks!!

=Randy=

R. Zelick				email: zelickr at pdx.edu
Department of Biology			voice: 503-725-3086
Portland State University		fax:   503-725-3888

mailing:
P.O. Box 751
Portland, OR 97207

shipping: