[R] Running a likelihood ratio test for a logit model

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 18 10:56:39 CEST 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Dimitris Rizopoulos wrote:

> the print method for glm object already shows you the null and
> residual deviance with the associated df; look also at the "Value"
> section of ?glm.

Note though that deviances are not (log) likelihood ratios, but
differences in deviances are twice log LRT (pace a previous answer).

anova() is a good way to get suitable tests out of model fits:
in this case

     anova(glm(y ~ x1, family=binomial))

shows you the appropriate 2 log LRT

For the record, the null model always includes any offsets, and it
includes and intercept iff the full model does.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk