[R] Justifying R to anti open-source management

Peter Baker (CMIS, St Lucia) Peter.Baker at csiro.au
Wed May 17 09:05:51 CEST 2006

Hi

I apologise for this question as it really must be a FAQ. Unfortunately,
I can't find the answer and I'm tired of looking at endless google results

A colleague of mine works for a state government department that has a
policy against open source software or software tainted by open
source. Other government departments in the same state use R but this
particular department is driven by very non-numerate people and
superficially at least it appears somewhat backward IT-wise.  The
department may purchase SPlus (which may be better for non programmer
types anyway) or SPSS but it would nice to have the option to use R

The Q:

Are there any documents/reports/papers out there justifying R that
comment on
- quality of R
- huge range of libraries available
- support (via a huge and enthusiastic user base - any ideas on how
    many people use R)

I suspect that providing existing documents would carry more weight
rather than writing a case from scratch or providing people's email
opinions

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Peter

--
Dr Peter Baker, Statistician (Bioinformatics/Genetics),
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences, Queensland Bioscience Precinct