[R] reproducing scaling used in biplot(pc.biplot=TRUE)

Kim Milferstedt milferst at uiuc.edu
Mon May 15 23:54:46 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'd like to reproduce the standard biplot with pc.biplot=TRUE using
xyplot in lattice in order to assign different symbols to groupings
of observations (similar to the example in fig. 11.2 on page 285 in
DAAG). In order to reproduce the biplots I need to know how to scale
the observations and variables. In ?biplot.princomp I found that the
variables are scaled by 'lambda ^ scale' and the observations by
'lambda ^ (1-scale)' where lambda are the singular values. Are the
singular values in princomp the square of the sdev of the components?
What value for 'scale' does R select when I don't specify 'scale' as
an argument? And how do I extract the value for 'scale'?

In addition the help file says when pc.biplot=TRUE, 'lambda equals
1', and observations are scaled up by sqrt(n) and variables are
scaled down by sqrt(n). I'm having trouble understanding the meaning
of "scaling up" and "scaling down". Does this mean "multiply the
score of the observations by sqrt(n)" and "divide the loadings of the
principal components by sqrt(n)"? Is 'scale' meaningless for
pc.biplot=TRUE as now the scaling is based on lambda =1 and sqrt(n)
only? What happens when pc.biplot=FALSE

In Details, ?pc.biplot it says "Gabriel and Odoroff (1990) use the
same definitions, but their plots actually correspond to 'pc.biplot =
TRUE'." A little earlier in the help file, it is stated that
pc.biplot=TRUE corresponds to the Gabriel 1971. Are biplots in
Gabriel (1971) and in Gabriel and Odoroff (1990) used identical?

It would help me very much if somebody had an piece of example code
where a biplot is constructed "from the scratch" according to Gabriel 1971.

Thanks a lot,

Kim

Kim Milferstedt
4125 Newmark Civil Engineering Building