[R] Bioconductor AND Genetics Library

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon May 15 16:28:43 CEST 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Farrel Buchinsky wrote:

> I am aware of the R Genetics Project that developed the R library and
> software called Bioconductor (http://www.bioconductor.org/ ) . How do the
> two relate to each other? What is the one that the other is not and vice
> versa? Can anybody link me to something that answers the question?

The genetics project is primarily about inherited DNA polymorphisms.

Bioconductor primarily isn't -- it has a lot of RNA expression analysis
tools, infrastructure such as interactive graphics, links to online genome
databases, graph algorithms, and the DNA stuff that it has tends more
towards copy number/loss of heterozygosity analysis for cancer.

Bioconductor is also a lot further along.

 	-thomas