[R] Newbie to R: would like to solve a problem

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Fri May 12 23:00:02 CEST 2006

Actually, if you're going to go out transform the data, why not use a
Fourier transform and take advantage of the fact that F[f*g] = F[f]F[g]?
That's the easiest way in my mind to do multiple convolutions of fitted
data. Taylor series are neither good at modeling Schwartz functions (a
rapidly decreasing function), or particularly good at multiple
convolutions, and you want to go up to eight, right? You could also use
the FFT as an approximation, although direct calculation of the first
few terms should just a straight forward integral (and I'll say this
without actually trying to do this Fourier transforms by hand). Then you
can just store the FT function in your PHP code and calculate the Nth
convolution as F[f]^N.

Hopefully my memory isn't too far off here.