[R] nested ANCOVA

"Jörn Buse" JoernBuse at gmx.de
Fri May 12 14:32:09 CEST 2006

Dear R-users,

is there a chance to do an nested ANCOVA in R? I've read the archive mails
but it doesn't work.
We have the following situation:

We are interested in differences in carabid biomass at different aged
woodlands. Thus, we have a nested design with 2 fixed groups (0=recent,
1=ancient) and 10 woodlands (each with 8 replications/traps) per fixed
group. Woodland is therfore nested within the fixed variable. In an
additional step we want to calculate these procedure with a covariate called
beech (this means the percentage of beech in these woods).
Our approach: lme(biomass~age, random=~woods/age)?
What is the syntax for this model in R?

Thanks

Jörn Buse
PhD Environmental Sciences