[R] Title of page with multiple plots

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 12 11:19:53 CEST 2006

    jim> try this:
    >> par(mfcol=c(2,2))
    >> plot(0)
    >> plot(0)
    >> plot(0)
    >> plot(0)
    >> mtext('main title', outer=TRUE, line=-1)

Yes.  Because the 'Subject' of this thread is such common task
(for some), I had created the function mult.fig() about ten
years ago (in S-plus times).  That is now part of the 'sfsmisc'
package.

After
    > install.packages("sfsmisc")
you can use
    > sfsmisc::mult.fig(4, main = "main title")

and then do your for plots afterwards.
mult.fig() has the other advantage of using slightly smaller
margins for the single plots, by default, so you get more "real
estate" for plotting.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    jim> On 5/11/06, John Sorkin <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:

    >> I want to place four plots on a page, and I would like to have all four
    >> plots share a common title. I have tried the following code, but the
    >> title is centered over the fourth graph and not centered across all four
    >> plots. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> R 2.1.1
    >> windows xp
    >>
    >> oldpar<-par(mfcol =c(1,4),ask=TRUE)
    >>

    >> plot(p,varp)
    >> plot(p,SEp)
    >> plot(p,CVp)
    >> plot(p,ppval)
    >>
    >> title(paste("P and 95%CI for a sample size of",n,"subjects."))
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John
    >>
    >> John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
    >> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
    >> Baltimore VA Medical Center GRECC and
    >> University of Maryland School of Medicine Claude Pepper OAIC
    >>
    >> University of Maryland School of Medicine
    >> Division of Gerontology
    >> Baltimore VA Medical Center
    >> 10 North Greene Street
    >> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
    >> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
    >>
    >> 410-605-7119
    >> jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu

    jim> --
    jim> Jim Holtman
    jim> Cincinnati, OH
    jim> +1 513 646 9390 (Cell)
    jim> +1 513 247 0281 (Home)

    jim> What is the problem you are trying to solve?

    jim> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]