[R] Quantian (was: Using DBI and RMySQL)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 11 21:20:49 CEST 2006

On 11 May 2006 at 13:19, Robert Citek wrote:

| On May 11, 2006, at 11:47 AM, bogdan romocea wrote:
|
| >> I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
| >> run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
| >> the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.
| >
| > Don't bother, it's been done already. See
| > http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html
|
| I've heard of Quantian although I've never been on a system on which
| I can use it.  All the x86 boxes to which I have access do not have
| DVDs and Quantian will not run on my Mac, even under VPC.  That's why

The Quantian site has several short HOWTOs detailing different boot methods
which use the iso directly from the hard disk.  The Quantian mailing list may
be of help if you get stuck trying this.

As for DVDs, I almost never boot Quantian from a physical DVD. For casual
use, I really like the free-as-in-beer VMplayer which works under Linux at
home, and Windoze at work, and doesn't require a reboot.

| I prefer using Knoppix with a PDI on a USB stick or drive.  CD-ROMs
| and USB are just more common, which is important if I want to be
| portable.
|
| How is Quantian?  Has anyone here used it or is using it?

Certainly.  Consider reading back in the maling list archives which can be as
easy as one function call under R, eg

	> RSiteSearch("quantian")

just gave me 93 hits.

Hope this helps, Dirk