[R] What will produce NA for lm()?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun May 7 09:12:04 CEST 2006

If a column is a linear combo of other columns, i.e. the model
matrix is not of full column rank, you can get
an NA as there is no unique answer, e.g. in the following
x2 is a linear combo of x1 and the intercept so the coefficient
of x2 is NA:

set.seed(1)
DF <- data.frame(y = rnorm(5), x1 = 1:5, x2 = 1:5 + 1)
lm(y ~., DF)