[R] OT: DOE - experiments for teaching

Bob Wheeler rwheeler at echip.com
Sat May 6 02:17:07 CEST 2006

Since ECHIP no longer exists, I guess it is OK to reveal some of the
stuff we did. We taught a course to engineers for more than 20 years and
our statistics indicated that 9 out of every 10 attendees ran at least
one experiment after the course.

One of the things that was done was intended to break the mind set of
the students, and we did this by posing a problem for them to solve
before we attempted to teach them anything. We usually used the funnel,
although in the early days it was a computer simulation. Many students
had some idea of design to begin with, and tried to put what they knew
to work with mixed success, while others rolled their own. Teams were
used, and someone from each team reported the results. Criticism was
always constructive. We followed this up by solving the problem using a
design, and we explained the methodology as we went along with all
students collecting and analyzing the data on their own computers.

Almost all students (even those reluctantly required to attend by
management) bought into the problem; becoming so interested, that we
often had to chase them from the classroom at the end of the day.

Berton Gunter wrote:
> I've had fun and luck with the apparatus described in my little paper:
>
> THROUGH A FUNNEL SLOWLY WITH BALL BEARING AND INSIGHT TO TEACH EXPERIMENTAL
> DESIGN
> The American Statistician, 47, 4 p. 265-269 (1993)
>
> We continue to use this in our industrial training.
>
> I also would strongly second Spencer's remarks re the difficulty of helping
> students see the big picture. For some reason, viewing experimentation as
> part of an overall learning process/strategy does not seem to be part of
> most scientist's or engineer's formal education. I suppose if you look at
> typical science or engineering labs where the goal is to come to a
> predetermined conclusion, it's not hard to see why. But we don't need to get
> into that imbroglio here.
>
> -- Bert Gunter
> Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
> South San Francisco, CA
>
> "The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
> process."  - George E. P. Box

Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
    ECHIP, Inc. --- Randomness comes in bunches.