[R] Nested model and variance partitioning

poulet at cict.fr poulet at cict.fr
Thu May 4 15:32:53 CEST 2006

Dear Pierre, thanks for your answer,

I am not quite sure what you mean by "outcome" but I try to be more precise.

I have 4 spatial scales with:

- One sample per habitat (i.e. substratum)
- Many habitats per site
- One or many sites per river
- Many rivers per regions
- Two regions

Each scales is described by one or many variables:

- Habitat: type of substratum
- Site: altitude, distance from the source, slope, drainage area
- River: drainage area, altitude of the source, slope, type of geology
- Regions: 2 modalities

First I could try a nested ANOVA such as:

SR = habitat + Site / River / Region

But I am rather interested by which variables in each scales explains the
species richness variance. So something like this:

SR = substratum + (alt+dfs+sl+da) / (da+as+s+geol) / Region

But I don't know if i) if it is the good model and ii) how to proceed with the
lmne package.

If someone could give an example close to my case, it will really help me...

Best wishes,

Nicolas Poulet

Selon bady at univ-lyon1.fr: