[R] New-user support package - suggestions?

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Thu May 4 09:45:11 CEST 2006

Dear Andrew,

I tend to agree with Uwe.

A perhaps more useful approach for achieving your goal would be to create a video introduction to R. On http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/ you can find examples of such introductory videos for programming, for example in C#.

I've experimented a little myself with creating such videos for "getting started" with R, i.e. installing R, installing the Tinn-R editor, using the help facilities, finding things on CRAN. It is not as easy to do as I had thought... (If anyone is interested in the result, please drop me a line and I'll send you a link).. There are various relevant pieces of software around, for example camtasia (commercial) and camstudio (freeware)..

Such a set of videos could make it onto CRAN...

Best
Søren