[R] Modelling heteroskedasticity in a multilevel model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue May 2 04:11:10 CEST 2006

	  I generally prefer to start with the distributional characteristics
of the data, then consider "fixed effets" / explanatory variables, then
dependence structure in the deviations from the model.

	  1.  What is (are) your response variable(s)?  If the numbers are
financial numbers of volume of sales in whatever units and can never be
negative, I would automatically take logarithms before I did anything
else -- possibly after replacing any 0's by some small positive number
to prevent sending part of the data to (-Inf).  Have you made normal
probability plots and time series plots by company?  If it's something
like stock prices, I might focus on first differences of something like
log(price per share).  (And where are you getting your data?  For
certain financial research questions, you need include dividends
appropriately when computing "total increase in shareholder value".  I
believe the Center for Research in Securities P rices at the University
of Chicago does a fairly good job of this, and it's probably difficult
to match what they do.)

	  2.  If you've appropriately transformed your data, what have you done
to explore the relationships between your response variables and
potential explanatory variables?  Plots, preceeded or followed by "lm"
fits are wise.

	  3.  Then I want to consider residuals, by industry and correlated
over time -- and correlations in absolute values [which might suggest
the need for something like "ARCH / GARCH" (autoregressive conditional
heteroscedasticity)?  I mention this because you talk about
"'unexpected' shocks at especific points in time".  If these "shocks"
can be explained by some other variable, then you don't need ARCH /
GARCH.  However, if the sources can not be reasonably modeled from other
variables, then you might need ARCH / GARCH.]

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves