[R] R garbage collection

Jeff Henrikson jehenrik at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 04:44:22 CEST 2006

r-help,

The R manual lists two types of memory: transient and user-controlled.
If I have transient blocks reachable from the globals only by traversal
through user-controlled blocks, will they be correctly preserved?

Secondly, what are the ways to mark user controlled blocks as "roots"
for the garbage collector, so that transient blocks they reference stay
uncollected?  So far I can only deduce that as long as the answer to my
first question is yes, I can bind an arbitrary symbol to them in the
global environment.  Is this the best way?

Jeff Henrikson