[R] clustering a sparse dissimilarity matrix

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnon at emory.edu
Thu Mar 30 23:46:48 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I have a BIG dissimilarity matrix (around one thousand by one thousand),
that I would like to cluster.  Most of the elements of the matrix are
zero or close to zero.  Is there a way to cluster the matrix
(hierarchical or partitioning methods) that discards those elements that
are close to zero (by using a specified threshold on the matrix)? I am
asking this because otherwise I get a huge amount of clutter for
singletons or very small clusters.  Also, how can you look for clusters
of a specified  size, apart from looking visually at the dendrogram?  Is
there a way to bias the algorithm specifically for clusters of a certain
size?

thank you very much for any suggestion

best regards

   giuseppe

PS
Note that I cannot use the original data instead of the dissimilarity
matrix because those are dissimilarities (computed from the spatial
correlation coefficient) between fMRI brain maps, each of which has
around 60000 variables.

--
Giuseppe Pagnoni