[R] access list component names with lapply

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 30 04:20:27 CEST 2006

I have a question regarding accessing the names of list
components when applying a function with lapply.

Here is an example that demonstrates what I'd like to do.

I have a list like this one:

	mylist <- list(a=letters[1:10], b=letters[10:1], c=letters[1:3])

Now I would like to append the names of the list components to their
corresponding vectors with the c() function. I thought this could
be done like in the following command, but it doesn't:

	lapply(mylist, function(x) { c(names(x), x)  } )

I know how to do this in a for loop, but lapply runs so much faster over
large lists.

Any help on this simple problem will be highly appreciated.

Thomas

--
Thomas Girke
1008 Noel T. Keen Hall