[R] Plotting shapefiles on existing maps

nhy303 at abdn.ac.uk nhy303 at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 13:34:57 CEST 2006

Dear All,

This is probably a very basic question but:

I have plotted a map of the Barents Sea and surrounding coastline using:

map('worldHires',ylim=c(50,85),xlim=c(5,65),fill=T,resolution=0)
map.axes()
map.scale(x=30,metric=T)

Next, I imported a shapefile with depth contours for the sea:

contours<-read.shape("D://My Documents/BarentsSea.shp",dbf.data=T)

(This is in mercator projection).

Despite extensive searches of the help files and R site, I cannot find a
way to plot the contours onto the map.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou for you help,

Lillian.

--
Lillian Sandeman