[R] Welch test for equality of variance

Peter Ehlers ehlers at math.ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 29 00:51:49 CEST 2006

Peter,

I don't know the Welch test for variances, but you might consider
using the Fligner-Killeen test (fligner.test) or one of the
Levene test variations (package:car). A useful reference is

WJ Conover, ME Johnson, MM Johnson. 1981. Technometrics 23:351

with a minor correction in Technometrics 26:302.

Peter Ehlers

Peter Flom wrote:

> Hello
>
> Using R 2.2.1 on a Windows machine.
>
> Has anyone programmed the Welch test for equality of variances?
>
> I tried RSiteSearch, but this gave references to t test and
> oneway.test, which are not quite what I need.....I need the Welch test
> itself, for use in a meta-analysis (to determine if variances are
> equal).
>

> TIA
>
> Peter
>

> Peter L. Flom, PhD
> Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
> Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
> National Development and Research Institutes
> 71 W. 23rd St
> http://cduhr.ndri.org
> www.peterflom.com
> New York, NY 10010
> (212) 845-4485 (voice)
> (917) 438-0894 (fax)

University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr. NW       ph: 403-220-3936
Calgary, Alberta  T2N 1N4, CANADA                  fax: 403-282-5150